Friday, August 28, 2009

How to make your eye stop twitching.

Dear Dr. Sunday...

My eye is twitching. Specifically my right eye. And even more specifically the lower lid of my right eye...just about in the center of it. This has been going on for MONTHS....way too many months. One friend said to eat a banana. I"m turning into a monkey. Another friend suggested I am too stressed out. At this very moment my eye is twitching and if I was any less stressed out I would be Buddha. Hence I bring myself to your office to inquire as to what I can do to make this stop before I put a fork in it and call it done.

Thanks so much....
~Twitchy


Dear Twitchy,

An excellent question, and one I've had cause to answer numerous times in my life. Fortunately, I come from a family that is as steeped in folkloric wisdom as it is in traditional, practical methods.

According to some sources, twitching under your right eye means you are going to see something that you should pay attention to-- something will transpire within your peripheral vision, literally or figuratively, that if you aren't paying attention, you could miss out on totally. Of course, I've also heard, from less folksy sources, that the under eye twitching (which is called, by the way, myokymia, has not ever really been linked conclusively to any one specific cause. Like zits, it's been tied to stress, caffeine, bad diet, lack of sleep, too much sleep, lack of exercise, too much exercise, lack of sex, too much... well, you get the picture.

Translation: no one really knows WHY, we just have our best guesses based on evidence which may or may not be anything more than coincidence. "Well, it only happens when I'm awake, so maybe it's being conscious that does it? Damn, I guess I better sleep more." That sort of thing. Point is, it happens, you get it, lots of people do, and it's more common in females than it is in males, but only slightly. When it happens in both eyes at once, or starts to twitch an entire part of your face, that's when to seek legitimate medical attention.

Since it's only in one eye, it's not anything TOO much to worry about. The EASIEST way to deal with it is to try the practical approach. A warm washcloth, held over the offending eye, while you gently massage with small circles the lower eyelid should relieve the twitching. This often resolves it immediately, but not always-- in which case you just do it again, later in the day. Do this as often as needed-- don't be afraid to show that pesky eyelid who really wears the trousers in your face.

If it is intense enough to really drive you crazy, you can use the kinds of allergy eye drops available over the counter at pharmacies, preferably the kinds of drops which have an antihistamine component. This won't cure it in and of itself, but it can reduce the intensity of the muscle reaction, allowing you to make some headway.

Personally, I've ALWAYS had success with the warm washcloth method, and never had to do it for more than a day or two. If that fails, try the old fashioned method-- take the oldest penny you can find, face north with the offending eye closed, and rub southward down the face of the penny, as quickly as you can. When the penny gets warm, hold it against your eye, and whisper your desire (my eye to stop twitching) fifty times. I think you have to drink cow's milk and light a candle, too, but I might have my folk magicks mixed up here.

Hmm... Probably just go get a washcloth warm/wet, instead, yeah? I hope this helps you.

Always Listening,
Dr. Sunday

13 comments:

  1. I found this amusing. I'll try the washcloth.
    Ha, trousers in your face..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It means you need magnesium!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cow's milk totally works!! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY VERY ANGRY!!! IT NOT WORK!!! YOU NOT LIVE LONG!!! JK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank u..il try that..i woke up and my left eye had started twitching, i had it befor but aventurly it went away in a few days..but now the devil had cum bk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Gypsies in my family say that it means someone is really, really going to piss you off. So far, it rings true for us. Other than that, we really don't know how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my left eye just wont stop twitching im freaking out and i need help fast its only the lower lid of my left eye PLEASE HELP!!!oh by the way this has been going on for about 2 weeks know no one has noticed but its getting worse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My god that was funny. Here I am, at 7am just laughing and twitching away while I wait for it to stop. I'll try the washcloth and report back if it works. Great comedic tone though...v. funny teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. im 12 years old and this is happening im gonna die i need this to stop its been going on for 2 days nopw and getting worse im bout to wip out my eye help

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm 12 about to turn 13 and my eye has been twitching for 3 days and I just did the warm wash cloth and it worked right away! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine twitches when I cum

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2000. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescibtion like: Insulin ,Sulfonylureas,Thiazolidinediones but Icould not get the cure rather to reduce the pain abd brink back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I aslo contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabtes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION.,PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2348142454860.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2000. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescibtion like: Insulin ,Sulfonylureas,Thiazolidinediones but Icould not get the cure rather to reduce the pain abd brink back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I aslo contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabtes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION.,PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2348142454860.

    ReplyDelete